Thursday, January 14, 2010

Today in bulleted form

  • We received a $1,500 check this morning from a company in Winner. The store manager came out to present the check. I then gave him a tour of the five-bedroom home we're building for a family with 12 children. He's excited about Habitat and wants to spend a day on the job site this spring with his employees.
  • I had low expectations, but I came away with a $300 check for a rebar cutter-bender during an afternoon meeting. The effort-to-reward ratio was the highest for any project I've worked on since arriving here over a year ago. But it pays (literally!) to be prepared.
  • Tonight was our monthly Board meeting. I'm thankful I have a good grasp of when it's appropriate to be optimistic versus realistic. I was the foil for my E.D.
  • A Board member brought some kick-ass lasagna for the meeting. Another brought her perfect, homemade banana bread. And I got to keep the leftovers of both.
  • I wish people who want to give up but don't have the guts to say so would just be honest with themselves and the rest of the group and just leave. Stop pretending as though events are out of your control. I can see through it; I'm sure others can as well.
  • I had a great conversation with an education major thinking about teaching here in Todd County after graduation. She's looking for something different and, boy, is she going to get it.
  • I was told tonight that I'm obviously someone comfortable in his own skin. I would agree with that assessment.
  • "How old are you?" "I'll be 32 in April." "You don't look it." I agree with that assessment as well! I really liked saying I'm turning 32. And I'm thankful this experience hasn't, apparently, aged me too much.
  • I'm already thinking about lasagna and banana bread for lunch tomorrow.

No comments: