Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Hug

AmeriCorps is a temporary program. Members of VISTA, for example, commit to one year of service. I knew this up front, of course. In response to the few people in my life who had reservations about me moving to the reservation (haha), I would say, "Well, worst case scenario is I'm there for a year. I can do anything for a year." (Boy, can I.)

With me relocating to a new area and needing to adapt to a new culture where I'd be a minority, it was important for me coming into this situation to be sincere in my intentions. That included making Mission my home, not just a way station between Alaska and grad school.

Well, it worked. Even though I've communicated the fact my presence is here thanks to AmeriCorps (i.e. short term), locals associate me more with Habitat. Or coaching at the high school. Or the Chamber. Or the weird guy who faithfully attends City Council meetings.

This morning, a parent of some of the track and cross country kids stopped by the office. I've gotten to know her entire family fairly well. They're all great people. Anyway, she talked about her daughter's interest in starting up a Girls on the Run program here on the Rosebud. She was hoping I'd help out. Great idea, but...

She was surprised to hear I was leaving. Very surprised. I told her about my plans before wrapping up the conversation. It got a little emotional there at the end. And I got a hug afterward.

After the meeting from hell last night, it was what I needed. Even with the struggles I've faced at work, I feel as though I've succeeded here. With the temporary nature of VISTA and the fact do-gooders come and go around the rez, I was afraid I would be lumped into that group by folks who have been living here all their lives. And that categorization would have been completely justified. But not only has that not been the case, but the opposite has been true. Folks trust me, and for someone with his own trust issues, I know this is a big deal.

But it's not going to make leaving any easier, that's for sure! There are still 13 weeks left, however. There's much to be done, including beating a couple of the track kids in the 1600.

No comments: