Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Who moved my cheese?

Between classes, work, volunteer commitments, running, and a special male friend, I've been very busy lately. It's no coincidence that my last post here was drafted prior to the start of the fall semester.

Time management hasn't been a problem at all, however. It helps that my classes are actually pretty fun, further confirmation that I chose the right degree program. And I ran really, really well in a race on Saturday. (Full report to come.)

But with my schedule changing from one day to the next, I'm having a hard time adjusting my feeding times. Working an 8-to-5 day, it's easy to eat at the same time each day. Yeah, it's probably a bit obsessive-compulsive, but there is some underlying logic, besides the fact that I am a tad obsessive-compulsive about certain - but not all - aspects of my life.

First, there's the whole running thing. My stomach is very temperamental. I need to wait a good three or four hours after eating a full meal before heading out for a run. And, even then, I'm not immune from the occasional bowel-movement emergency. (I have examples of BMEs that I won't share here. But I've got some dandies.)

Second, if I don't stick to a regular food-intake schedule, I'll eat more often and in greater quantities than if I stick to my regular three meals, mid-morning snack, and dessert. Granted, I still inhale a ton of food, which is actually kind of frightening when I stop to think about it or compare what I shovel down my throat to how much food a dining companion is taking home from the restaurant. But it works ... as long as I keep running.

But it's impossible to keep any sort of regular schedule. Today, for example, I came home from class at 9:00 having only eaten two meals during the day, including a gigantic dinner at 4:00. I thought that would hold me over until morning. Ha! But I ended up having a sundae followed by some tuna fish. And that breaks another rule: eating within three hours of bedtime. Then again, I may be up for a while reading about the Tea Party candidate's win in the Republican primary for Joe Biden's old U.S. Senate seat.

So, after not writing anything on here for three and a half weeks, that's what's on my mind: food, poop, and politics. Thank you for reading.

No comments: