Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Laramie out, Sioux City in

So, I skipped the race in Wyoming last weekend. The forecast began to look grim toward the beginning of last week, and the projected cold and snow was deemed a certainty as Thursday rolled around. The idea of running in the elements wasn't what kept me home; the idea of traveling all that way to drive in a blizzard was.

The good news: WYDOT closed I-80 and the race was canceled! And I was able to smile while periodically checking-in on the blizzard in the somewhat-climate-controlled comfort of home thanks to the miracle of DOT web cams.

The even better news: There's a half marathon in Sioux City this Saturday. A hilly trail run in the mountains, it is not. But 'tis a bonus opportunity at a sub-1:30 relatively close to home.

I had another awesome run on Saturday and (gasp!) the weather actually looks halfway decent in Sioux City Saturday morning, albeit a tad nippy. And I'm feeling 100 percent healthwise, which wasn't the case last month in Sioux Falls. I probably shouldn't put pressure on myself to run under an hour and a half, but it's a goal.

No comments: