Thursday, October 1, 2009

Speech! Speech!

This summer, our Habitat affiliate was awarded a $7,000 service-learning grant from State Farm. During the 2009-2010 school year, high school carpentry class students will construct sheds for our partner families, while elementary students will build dog houses, birdhouses, and key holders.

We received the money this summer; however, the formal check presentation occurred at the Indian Education and Dropout Prevention Summit in Rapid on Monday. Many of the folks involved in this project aren't comfortable speaking in front of large crowds. So, guess who made the speech?


The lunchtime speakers prior to our presentation went a bit long. And then we were almost forgotten after a moving star-quilt presentation. After the emcee was reminded of our presence, three Black Hills-area State Farm agents spoke, the "check" was handed over, and I stepped behind the podium.

I really don't mind public speaking. And I can go on ad nauseam about Habitat and the Reservation. Still, I admit I practiced my 400-word speech a couple dozen times. I didn't need to look like an idiot in front of 300 folks, including a sizable Todd County contingent.

The speech went really well!

Afterward, an Honoring Song was sung for the outgoing Director of Indian Education, and those of us involved in the check presentation were invited to join in his receiving line. As the Summit participants left the ballroom for their afternoon sessions, they went down the line, shaking all of our hands.

Talk about unexpected. I never thought I'd be on the receiving end of this traditional Lakota ceremony. I received many compliments on my speech, best wishes on our project, and even a hug and kind words from the Todd County superintendent.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

nicely done, bri.

Brian said...

It's from H&M. Classy, yet understated.