Wednesday, December 9, 2009

After a cold run

The sun was down, pitch black except out to the far western horizon. It was cold (2 below), but the wind had died down (wind chill of 17 below). I needed to get out for a run.

The roads, both in town and to the north, were snow-packed, perfect conditions for YakTrax use. Because of the recent snow, passing vehicles didn't kick-up dust as the drove by. Not that there was much traffic out anyway.

Most of the dogs were evidently trying to keep warm somewhere instead of "greeting" me as I ran past the usual trouble spots. With just the light breeze and my headlamp visible from some distance, they would have heard or seen me coming. But, no. Just me running up the dark Dump Road and the crunch, crunch, crunch of my YakTrax on the snow.

The best part of my night runs is when I turn around at the top of the ridge to head for home, the lights of Mission and the Antelope Community down below. Prior to heading back, I can definitely see White River in the distance. I'm still trying to figure out if that's Murdo even further to the north. That's quite a ways.

It has been a frustrating couple of weeks. Nothing too bad, but there's plenty going on here. I'm still amazed, however, how quickly it all disappears when I'm at the top of that ridge in the dark. Yeah, my face and the Gatorade in my water bottle were half-frozen, but there was nowhere in the world I'd rather have been. And it's a moment that served more as a reinforcement than a reminder of the great life I have here.

It's now 8:00 p.m. The temperature is down to 10 below, 25 below with the slight breeze. I'm stuffed to the gills with spaghetti after a hot shower. I'm thawed, and I'd like the pipes to remain that way. Here's hoping for a night of functioning heat.

No comments: