Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Guess who's coming to dinner?

I went to City Council tonight. For this faithful attendee, it had been a little while since my last meeting. The first November meeting was canceled, while I had to work during the second one.

I always learn something new at these meetings. Tonight, it was the complicated topic of governmental jurisdiction, notably state versus tribal. I came home with a worksheet which clears up some of my confusion. And electric rates are going up - again.

After the Council discussed holiday bonuses for City employees ($300, unanimously approved), the City's holiday party was next on the agenda. After setting the date and time, one of the Council members said, "I don't know if this needs a motion, but I think our concerned citizen should be invited." (He's always referred to me as "the concerned citizen." In a good way, of course.) That sentiment was quickly echoed by another member, which surprised me only because of his cool demeanor around me, both during Council meetings and in other settings.

So, I'm going to the City of Mission's holiday dinner at the end of the month. Obviously, it's not that big of a deal; however, I'm thankful for the offer, even if it's just recognition of my biweekly presence. "Thanks for attending our meetings. Here's your pork chop."

And they take note when I'm not present. Tonight, I was asked why I wasn't there two weeks ago. My long hair was also commented upon.

It's this small stuff that makes looking ahead to my departure from Mission very sad. And it doesn't help when I walk into the bank, as I did this afternoon, and all of the tellers greet me. Life on the rez is going to continue without me, for sure. But this is home and, unlike toward the end of my time in Juneau, I'm not in the mindset just yet of looking forward to the next adventure. It'll come, I think, when my grad school plans solidify.

But now? Well, I had better make the next six months as memorable as the last 12.

No comments: