Sunday, June 13, 2010

Try it! You'll like it!

You know it. My family knows it. I know it. I'm a picky eater. So, when there's a food out there I'll actually eat, you can pretty much guarantee that it's plain, not exotic, and palatable to someone who has issues with food textures.

Let's talk about buffalo. It's popular 'round these parts. The Rosebud Sioux Tribe has a buffalo ranch. And buffalo can be found on many menus across the state. I've tried a buffalo burger and, frankly, it tastes just like a hamburger. And it happens to be leaner than ground beef.

Since I happen to like buffalo, it means it's gotta be innocuous. Would Mom and Grandmom try a bite of it during their recent trip? Hell no! Now I know how they must have felt when I was a kid, refusing to try something new, green, or fruity. Or even as an adult how I won't touch chunky spaghetti sauce. But still! If I like it, how bad can it possibly be?

We were pretty chatty with everyone we met during our travels. And the topic of buffalo almost always came up.

"Have you tried buffalo yet? No? But it's not gamey at all. And it's lean!"

But they could not be swayed. In fact, when we checked out of our hotel on the final morning of the trip, Grandmom lied to the gentleman we had met the night before at the hotel gift shop. (A gentleman, by the way, who took a liking to yours truly.)

"Did you try buffalo last night?"

"Yes we did!"

In the end, they both boarded their flight back to the east coast without experiencing a South Dakota delicacy. Their trip was incomplete.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Guess they will have to come back then!

Brian said...

They'll never return. During their trip, they said they would have never, ever come out here if not for me living in South Dakota.

Maybe I can ship them some buffalo. That would actually be pretty funny. I think my dad would at least try it.