Thursday, February 26, 2009

Going to the other side

I had one of those experiences today that confirmed I have completely turned aside my East Coast upbringing for a rural-based mentality. Not a bad thing, of course, but still startling.

Today feels like winter again. It was 68 degrees on Tuesday, which this time of year means bad weather is on its way. It indeed arrived last night. Today, the temperature has been in the teens with a below-zero wind chill and some flurries. It's been worse for sure, so there was no question I'd be walking into town for, as opposed to driving to, the lunchtime Chamber of Commerce meeting.

Walking over to the post office afterward, I wiped out while on the slick roads. (I should've had my Yaktrax on; however, I had spring fever and wasn't thinking sensibly.) I dusted the snow of from my pants, dropped off my mail, and began to head back to work.

This guy then asked, "Do you want a ride?"

I had no idea who this person was. Plus, he was in the driver's seat of a huge van, the kind kidnappers always seem to employ in the movies. I don't know if it was because I had just slipped on the ice or if I was anxious to get out of the cold, but I didn't even think before I answered, "Sure!" Ten years ago, I would have said, "Oh, I'm fine, but no thanks," flashed a smile, and continued on my way. Now I'm accepting rides from strangers in scary vehicles.

As it turned out, I was never in harm's way. He was just a kid who's about to leave for his Mormon mission. So, it wasn't even the most menacing situation I've been in today. I just wonder what's next though. Offering to help find some creepy guy's lost puppy or kitty at the park?

1 comment:

Brian said...

I do like candy...