Sunday, February 22, 2009

Leg braces, chicken pox, and my enemies

25 things, continued...

3. Most people know I had braces (among assorted orthodontia) when I was a kid. Most don't know I had braces on my legs for a time in junior high.

If you've ever seen me run, you know I'm mostly up on my toes. I can't help it; it's just what's comfortable for me. When I was a kid, I evidently walked that way too. I say "evidently" because when my mom would tell me to put my heels down, I sincerely didn't know what she was talking about.

So, she made an appointment for me at the "Institute." The doctor put casts on both of my feet and calves to make molds of them. When I started crying, he gave me some M&Ms in an attempt to cheer me up. I can't remember if I cried because the casts freaked me out, or if it was the realization I was a freak myself.

We went back to the Institute when the braces were ready. They were made of a white plastic. I put them on by slipping my foot and leg into the front of each one, then tightening the thick Velcro straps. Luckily, no one would notice I was wearing them because the bottom portion fit into my shoes, and the parts that covered my calves were hidden by my pants. It was only when my pant legs crept upward, like when I was sitting down, that they could be seen. I remember a few comments from other kids, but I never received any shit because of wearing them.

I didn't have those things very long. Maybe a year? I don't know. And I'm not sure they did anything to "correct" my walking. I do know my mom no longer told me to put my heels down after the braces were shelved.

4. I had chicken pox in the third grade. That's when I officially had them anyway. My parents thought I had them when I was younger. I was kept home from school for a week. The only problem was they wouldn't scab over. Well, as it turned out, they were only mosquito bites.

Fast forward to Easter Break 1986. My family was in the Wilmington train station waiting to depart for Atlanta to visit my aunt and uncle. I felt three bumps on the back of my neck. I walked over to my mom, asking her what they were. Oh, she knew. But the trip would continue.

I had full-fledged chicken pox the entire time I was down there. It really didn't stop us, so I'm sure I infected many folks up and down the Eastern seaboard. While in Georgia, I took Aveeno baths in between our day trips, like climbing Stone Mountain. I was such a little trooper. I must not have had many pox on my face because I don't remember my parents mentioning any negative reaction to my intermingling with the pox-free children.

5. I like to say everyone loves me. I'm kidding, of course. But is it really so far from the truth? It was during my freshman year of college.

My year at Georgia Tech was the only one I spent living in a dorm. It's probably a good thing too, because my Lone Ranger mentality would have cemented permanently, prevented me from opening up to anyone, and required regular visits to a therapist.

Everyone on my floor in the dorm hated me. Okay, "hate" is a strong word. Some disliked me, others were indifferent, but a few hated me. One guy, Arnie (I think that was his name. We haven't exactly kept in touch.), started banging on my door at 5:00 a.m. one morning screaming, "I hate you so much Brian!!!" Thanks for sharing! I was pretty sure he was drunk, but one would think the booze just lessened his inhibitions.

I did have friends at Tech though. Plus, I was off of campus enough exploring Atlanta as far as MARTA would take me, which allowed for minimal contact with my floormates, even with the close quarters. And I had my job at Cub, which truly was a fun place to work, even if I had to deal with Shokoni's advances.

I think part of the reason I wasn't liked was because I wanted nothing to do with any of them. So, I probably came across as standoffish. But these guys were lame and boring. And don't even get me started on my roommate. Holy smokes.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brian, I am enjoying your blog. I've tried to email and it says your email address is disabled.
What's up?
Gretchen

Brian said...

¡Gracias!

Let me know if you received my e-mail...

Anonymous said...

Didn't know you were a regular Forrest Gump! I'm bumming here on the couch with the dog and woke her up laughing so loud at your Mosquito Bite/Chicken Pox story. Too funny!

Brian said...

That's a compliment, right?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that sounds good! :))