Sunday, February 8, 2009

Me and Kellogg's, a wholesome match made in heaven

Close to 1,200 people have joined the Facebook group "Boycott Kellogg's for Dumping Michael Phelps." Kellogg's won't be renewing Phelps' contract since being caught smoking pot from a pipe.

It can be argued Phelps is seen as a hero to some. The feats he has attained in the swimming pool are astonishing. He's an amazing athlete. It's no wonder Kellogg's would want to use him to endorse their products after his performance in Beijing last August.

But why is it surprising Kellogg's has decided to cut him loose after what it has learned about Phelps' extracurricular activities? Maybe I'm a bit old fashioned, but a drug user wouldn't be my first choice to serve as the face of a product I'm trying to sell. In that, it's a business decision.

Frankly, his being caught smoking pot isn't even the bottom line with me. After 2004's Sydney Olympics, he was arrested for and pleaded guilty to driving under the influence. Drinking and driving is one of the most disgusting, irresponsible acts I can fathom. Drink yourself into oblivion, I don't care. But when one drinks then gets behind the wheel of an automobile, the drunk has placed others' (including my own) lives at risk.

The funny thing is I hadn't really done much reading about this story until seeing the Facebook group this evening. So he decided to smoke marijuana. Okay, fine. He wasn't hurting anyone. I just don't think pot smoking should be glamorized, which is what would have happened without any societal reaction. Whether he likes it or not, he is a role model. Fair or unfair, that raises the expectations for how he should conduct himself, both in public and private. But just like any of the rest of us, there are consequences for our actions.

It made me think of what the reaction may have been if he had been photographed smoking nicotine cigarettes or placing a big nasty wad of chewing tobacco into his cheek instead. Would it have been the same?

I guess I should conclude with the disclaimer that I've never smoked pot. I've had no desire to try it. It's just not an option. And call me a square or judgmental, but I think I'm above drug use.

Hmmm... I suddenly have the urge to treat myself to a bowl of Frosted Mini-Wheats. Cheers!

No comments: