Thursday, August 6, 2009

I think you call them "people"

Last night, prior to the start of City Council, there was an inappropriate conversation about what to call black people. There was some consensus that "coloreds" was outdated. I'm not sure how all this talk started, but once I figured out what the topic of discussion was, I did everything in my power to feign inattention. Yes, I could have provided the voice of enlightenment; however, right or wrong, I've learned to pick my battles when it comes to race relations. Touchy subject for me.

I think many of the comments were actually borne out of ignorance, given African Americans comprise 0.6 percent of the state's population. Hell, according to the 2000 Census, there were eight total in all of Todd County. But still, stating with authority, "There was a time when you called them [n-word]," is just wrong, even if you whisper the n-word.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds really uncomfortable, but I disagree with your "I think we call them people" sentiment. Feigning color-blindness (while it may not be a feint for you) is a good way to get nothing done about race issues. It is really easy to go off on a bad track with this conversation, but I think it can be a valid one to have. I mean, I was talking to a friend on the phone from Oregon the other day, and she works in the affordable housing business, and I said something about "Native housing" and she commented, "I can't believe you call them Natives in Alaska, that sounds so wrong to me." In Oregon, it would be rude to call a Native American (Or is is American Indian?) simple a Native. I am sure you and I agree mostly on all this, and I really enjoyed reading your post. I just hate efforts to ignore race when in fact the result will be to ignore discrimination. The same goes with gender. I love your blog, and I miss you.

Brian said...

You're right; we do mostly agree on this. I don't think it's necessarily feigning color-blindness though. I actually don't realize I live in a county that's almost 5/6 Native until I leave the reservation.

It is nice, on the other hand, knowing that my county is 85.6 percent Native. But that's because I'm a data nerd and people do ask.