Sunday, August 16, 2009

My disease has a name

Courtesy of a random comment on a random blog, I learned I suffer from vasovagal episodes. I told you about my birthday HIV test where I passed out soon after having blood drawn. Well, it turns out that is one of the triggers for these episodes, which lead to lightheadedness, ringing in the ears, and tunnel vision, among other symptoms. And when the episode leads to fainting, it's called a vasovagal syncope.

I'm somewhat relieved to read that both dental and eye examinations are common triggers for these episodes. I've come ever so close to passing out at both the orthodontist and optometrist over the years.

During my orthodontic consultation back in junior high, I felt dizzy at the sight of my mouth molds. The orthodontist had them in his hands, using them as props as he described how my bucked teeth would magically turn into a movie-star smile - in just 10 years! I couldn't handle it, placing my head on my arms on his desk. My mom didn't know what was going on, but nudged me to sit up straight. We laugh at this story now, as this was when my parents and I knew I wouldn't be attending medical school.

I visited the eye doctor for the first time in 2001 while living in Texas. I was a squinter, for sure; I had known since at least high school I'd probably benefit from glasses. Well, I was fine for the "Which one is clearer, 1 or 2?" portion of the exam. It all went downhill, however, when the woman conducting the exam pulled out that neon blue light, moving it up to my eye ball. I'm pretty sure she thought I was a problem patient when I told her I needed to take a short break.

After the drops were applied to dilate my eyes, I stood up to walk back to the waiting area. That's when the room became fuzzy. The feeling was familiar from episodes involving blood over the years. I leaned down to put my hands on my knees to calm down. Only, I missed my knees, almost rolling forward onto the floor. I never lost consciousness, but it was close. I was given a cup of water and a washcloth as I waited for my eyes to dilate.

This incident had long-lasting effects. It took me seven and a half years to return to an eye doctor. And I only went then (last summer) because my glasses broke.

And I now I find that my affliction has a name! What's better is I could evidently have it even worse. Much worse. Looking at the list of triggers, I see both urination and defecation cause episodes for some folks. Jesus. I mean, passing out while giving blood is inconvenient for me, to say the least. But at least I managed to get a good story out of the ordeal. I couldn't imagine passing out while on the toilet. I'm not so sure I'd publish that on this blog. (I'd probably share that information with a few select people, however.) And I don't know about you, but I have blood taken much less frequently than I use the bathroom facilities.

If you're a sufferer of defecation syncopes, I feel for ya. If there was ever a need for Vasovagals Anonymous, that'd be more than reason enough.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, man, bathroom fainting would be terribly inconvenient. There are definitely some bathrooms where you never want to risk touching anything, much less end up slumped on the floor. Eek.

Brian said...

Very true. But my biggest worry would be someone finding me before regaining consciousness after a defecation syncope.

Sera said...

Brian,
the suffering might be worth it - your orthodonist did predict correctly - you DO have a movie star smile!

Miss you,
Sera

Brian said...

Thanks! My parents really did pick a good orthodontist. Then again, I was consistent wearing my headgear...