Saturday, May 22, 2010

Class of 2010

My thoughts from Todd County High School's graduation ceremony this afternoon:
  • The ceremony began with a drum circle, the singers carrying the drum from the entrance of the auditorium to the stage. I'm thrilled elements of traditional Native culture are still incorporated into everyday life on the reservation. Hearing the Lakota Flag Song sung prior to high school sporting events gives me chills. It reminds me that the Rosebud is different from anywhere I've ever been.
  • The valedictorian spoke. Based upon what he said and how he said it, I cannot believe he's the valedictorian. It was especially touching when he casually stated that the graduates made it through their four years of high school because of each other, not the teachers.
  • There were 54 graduates. When the Class of 2010 started high school in 2006, there were approximately 200 freshmen. The dropout rate is even worse than I thought. But it does go to show what a big deal it is around here to graduate from high school. They didn't all make it.
  • I optimistically and erroneously thought a graduation is an event momentous enough to get friends, family, and the community in their seats by the posted start time. Cheers to TCHS for beginning at 1:00 p.m. sharp.
  • The temperature reached 95 degrees this afternoon, the first hot day we've had this year. The auditorium also serves as the school's gymnasium. Between the heat and the number of attendees, I was expecting it to feel like a sauna inside. But it was rather comfortable.
  • It's wonderful that graduation is open to the entire community. Those kids should be celebrated.
  • I remember bits and pieces of my high school graduation back in 1996. I thought today would jog my memory on additional details, but it didn't. But I can say that the atmosphere and festive nature at Todd County's graduation were nothing like they were at mine 14 years ago.

No comments: