Friday, May 14, 2010

Live from Brookings

I'm at the Super 8 in Brookings, South Dakota. My headphones are blasting to block out the loud conversation from Room 125. They have until 10:00 to shut the hell up before I call the front desk. Why must people be so inconsiderate? I need my sleep tonight because...

I'm running a half marathon at 7:00 tomorrow morning. And, man, am I excited! A little nervous too. This is probably the most pressure I've ever put on myself before a race. I ran this same event last year in 1:32:14, a personal best which still stands. My goal is 1:30, of course, and I feel like I have a more-than-decent shot at accomplishing it.

I haven't run since Sunday. I needed the rest though. I ran well last weekend, but volleyball Tuesday night was a bit much on my body as evinced by my soreness Wednesday morning. I'm back to 100 percent now. I love playing with the gang each Tuesday, but with the amount of running I do, it isn't good for my knees.

It's supposed to be cool, clear, and calm tonight. The low should be 44, which is warmer than it was at last year's start. Conditions should be ideal. If I'm going to meet my goal, tomorrow's the day.

Looking ahead to racing in Boise, there isn't much on the running schedule there over the summer that intrigues me. Plus, it's hot there in the summer, so it's not like there are many races to choose from. So, tomorrow morning is my last chance for some time to scratch my competitive itch.

I've told the cross country and track kids more than once they need to say their goals out loud and write them down. Otherwise, who's to say the goal even existed in the first place? (If a tree falls in a forest...)

At this point, I think everyone knows my "hour and a half" mantra. It's good for me. But it's time to get the job done!

No comments: