Saturday, May 8, 2010

Go west young thirtysomething

I'm moving to Boise at the end of June to attend graduate school at Boise State. It's funny how life turns out sometimes. I mean, Boise? Really? This time last year, I wasn't even considering options outside of South Dakota for school. Then life happened. Boise turned into the plan, then just an option, followed by a distant possibility.

But all it took to completely redirect my future was a very thin envelope with a lot of scholarship money. The funny thing about Boise State is that after researching their public administration program and speaking with its director, it turned out to be a really good fit for me and my goals. But out-of-state tuition and loans weren't going to happen. So when the scholarship money came through (and a bit more since), my decision was simple.

Attending grad school two states away instead of just three and half hours down the road in Vermillion is only going to make leaving here harder. But Boise will be good for me. Besides the school situation, it's a great town for the outdoors. That's the big thing I have missed during my time in Mission. I already have my trail book, and there are plentiful hiking and running opportunities close to town.

I'm trying to convince myself that this is a new adventure, but it does pale in comparison to my past two moves. It's not Alaska, and it's certainly not the reservation. (But can anything really compare to the rez?) And I'll be the first to admit that Boise is pretty white bread. I guess that makes the Rosebud fry bread. (I just came up with that. Hilarious!)

This move is also different from the last two for several other reasons. Unlike both Juneau and Mission, I've actually visited Boise. Granted, it was just a long weekend, but I did get a feel for the place.

Also, I actually know someone there. He was the reason I applied to BSU in the first place. I moved to Juneau without knowing a soul in all of Alaska. And I had only spoken with my future co-workers here at Habitat over the phone.

And the actual move is shorter than the last two. That's not exactly a bad thing though. Yes, it's still over 1,000 miles; however, I'll be able to leave one morning and arrive in town the following afternoon. There won't be a three-day ferry ride this time around.

It's not a fair comparison though. Each move, including the first one from Delaware to Texas, served its own distinct purpose, and this one will as well. Besides the great outdoor opportunities, the winters are moderate (I'm not going to know what to do with myself!), there are college and minor league sports events to attend, and there's a Costco and Fred Meyer.

So, seven weeks to go. The stretch run to the finish. I won't be sitting idly watching the clock either. I have a half marathon next Saturday. My mom and grandmom are coming to visit in June, which should be something else. And then there's everything going on at work. There's a lot to accomplish between now and June 25th. I'll pack the car that weekend before heading west.

That sounds good. Heading west. I will say it was a strange feeling to be driving east on I-90 moving to what would be my new home. It seemed like I was going in the wrong direction. Mission is west of the 100th meridian, but just barely. This time, though, the road signs will be pointing west. That feels great.

Boise or bust!

2 comments:

Katrina said...

You have to admit moving to Juneau was probably the farthest and most isolated you've been. I'm sure this will be an adventure but there are lots of people, roads and restaurants!

Brian said...

Mission is isolated too, just in a different way. And "lots of people" isn't necessarily a good thing!

But I do miss going to the movies. I'm also assuming the grocery stores in Boise don't sell expired food. That'll be a refreshing change.