Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Mr. Cereal

I'll be the first to admit I'm a picky eater. It doesn't take long after meeting me to figure that out. It could be a meal at a restaurant with a new friend or a potluck at work. The topic always (always!) comes up. Which is fine. After 31 years, I just don't give a damn if I come across as wacky because I have a short list of foods I eat, a much longer one of foods I won't touch, or because cereal makes up about two-thirds of my diet.

But with my current living situation, I'm meeting new groups of people weekly, on-site to volunteer for Habitat. Since I share a kitchen with these folks, my eating habits are on full display everyday, three meals a day. And that means the comments and questions quickly follow. Like these nuggets from the past two days:
  • Stated while I was eating cereal at the kitchen table: "You're more than welcome to join us for any meal while we're here. It might add some variety to your diet."
  • Once again, while eating cereal: "There's Mr. Cereal."
  • And one more time while eating, you guessed it, cereal, this time for dinner: "Does your mother know that all you eat is cereal?"
I will say all of the groups have invited me to join them for meals. I like to think it's because of my wit and personality; however, I'm sure the facts I'm a poor VISTA volunteer and my seemingly monotonous meals attract an audience also play roles.

No matter the reason, I do try to join each group for dinner at least once during their stay. And if I forge some sort of connection with them, it will be more than once. I have met some interesting people so far, and our busy summer season has just begun.

Tomorrow night, Indian tacos are on the tentative menu. I think the cereal will be remaining on the shelf. Well, for dinner, at least.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha, I still remember when you came over to dinner to my house one night in Delaware, and all you ate was rice and cashew nuts.

Brian said...

Didn't I tell you I was on a special rice-and-cashew diet? It was very strict...

Katrina said...

I so underdstand. Tracy lives off a diet of licorice. Took me years, and I do mean years, to get him to try salad dressing =)

Brian said...

Katrina, so does he now put the salad dressing on the licorice?

Rick, I sure am. With almonds!

Katrina said...

Ha ha! No, he hasn't worked up to putting anything on his licorice =)