Sunday, April 25, 2010

And now for this evening's final agenda item...

The City of Mission is about to commence a storm sewer and paving project in a part of town with poor drainage and dirt streets. The Council discussed the project for months, the engineer drafted the plans, the project was put out for bid, and a final cost to the affected property owners was calculated. April 15th was the public's opportunity to provide direct comment to the Council before they voted on the funding mechanism.

April 15th also happened to be my birthday, which, in itself, wasn't going to hold me back from attending. What was a problem, however, was friends of mine had already invited me over for dinner that same evening. What's a nerd like me to do?

I find City Council meetings to be informative and entertaining. Evidently, I'm the only one who feels this way because I'm typically the only member of the public present on the first and third Wednesdays of each month. But with the City about to assess property owners $86 per foot of street frontage, there was bound to be a crowd for a change. A vocal, agitated, and antagonistic crowd. So, I chose to push back my birthday dinner to the next night.

It's a good thing I arrived earlier than usual because a standing-room-only crowd showed up. I'll spare you the details, but I have to say I got a kick out of some of the comments from the residents and business owners in this supposedly conservative area. There was no question that everyone present was in favor of proceeding with the project. Storm sewer! Pavement! Curb and gutter! They just wanted someone else (read: federal government) to pay for it. "Can't you apply for grants and stimulus money?" A tea party it was not.

What was also strange is the crowd left before the final debate transpired and the actual motion was voted upon. In the end, the Council compromised by splitting the total cost of the project with the homeowners 50/50. That plan to assess $86 per foot? Poof! Gone! Folks will now pay $54.40. I'm not sure where the City is going to find that extra $250,000. There isn't exactly a lot of economic activity around here.

The special meeting then adjourned. And my birthday cake was brought out! Talk about a surprise. I had casually mentioned to the City's finance officer at the last regular Council meeting that the meeting allowing for public testimony on the special assessment was going to take place on my birthday. Well, she told one of the Council members, who had her daughter (a caterer) bake me a cake.

It's one of the sweetest and most memorable things anyone has ever done for me. I mean, how many people can say their birthday was celebrated by the City Council? And I don't even live inside the city limits!

Turns out, it was a good thing I postponed my traditional birthday celebration by one night. I would have felt terrible if cake and ice cream had been planned and I didn't show.

But it does tell me the Council now counts on my presence at their meetings. It's not like I say much, if anything. But I've been told by one member in particular a number of times how he appreciates the fact I just show up to take an interest. Maybe if certain property owners affected by a certain infrastructure project would have done the same, they wouldn't have been caught off guard by their special assessment. Just sayin'.

The following night was fun. Dinner was delicious, I finally won a game of Dutch Blitz, and there was another cake. Tack on my departure to Colorado the following morning for a long weekend, and my 32nd birthday turned into an extended celebration. I wonder what number 33 has in store. (Good lord, 33...)

No comments: