Saturday, April 24, 2010

Don't call me stubborn within my three-foot comfort radius

This weekend's task in preparation for my next move is to go through my box of "important" documents. Old credit card and student loan statements, utility bills, and other miscellaneous junk from the last 10 years will be dropped off at a shredding company while I'm in Sioux Falls next weekend.

One document I'll continue to store for safekeeping, however, is the results of a behavior assessment I took back in 2003 as part of a job interview. Some of the results are spot-on; others are just absolutely hilarious. They are primarily directed toward interactions with me in a professional setting; however, there is definitely overlap with personal relationships as well.

Under the checklist for communicating with me (listen up, everybody!), these are some of the things that will make me a happy camper:
  • Be patient and persistent.
  • Respect my quiet demeanor.
  • Have the facts in logical order.
  • Provide a friendly environment.
  • Keep at least three feet away from me.
And here are some behaviors that will cause you problems:
  • Be redundant.
  • Offer assurance and guarantees you can't fulfill.
  • Debate about facts and figures.
  • Pretend to be an expert, if you're not.
  • Make statements you cannot prove.
The one thing worse than a know-it-all is one who doesn't. And if you're going to debate numbers with me, proceed at your own risk.

I also got a kick out of the "Perceptions" section. "See yourself as others see you." According to the report, I usually see myself as considerate, good-natured, a team player, thoughtful, dependable, and a good listener. Wouldn't you agree?

But then we get down to the dirty section of others' perceptions. Under "moderate" pressure, tension, stress, or fatigue, you may see me as nondemonstrative, unconcerned, hesitant, and inflexible. Hmmm...

And under "extreme" circumstances, I may come across as possessive, detached, stubborn, and insensitive. Stubborn! I'm not stubborn!

The narrative section of the assessment focuses on my attention to detail, search for the truth (the truth is out there, by the way), and need for data, facts, and figures. But I love this sentence: "If he feels strong about an issue, he may retreat to gather his resources and then return to take a stand!" (The exclamation point is theirs!)

But this whole supposed stubbornness issue rears its ugly head again: "Stubbornness surfaces when his ideals and beliefs are confronted." But what if I'm right?

Keep in mind that I took this assessment almost seven years ago. Deep down, I think I'm still the same Brian now compared to years past. But who I am as a co-worker (friend, significant other, etc.) definitely manifests itself differently now compared to when I moved to Alaska. Those of you who have known me well over that period have seen the difference, for sure.

And to those who call me stubborn? I know you are, but what am I?

P.S. I was offered and did accept the job for which this assessment was administered.

3 comments:

Katrina said...

Hum, what job was that???

Brian said...

haha Do you still have yours?

Katrina said...

Heck no, I don't think I kept anything from there.