Thursday, April 8, 2010

Running PSA

High school track season is now in full swing, and I'm once again a volunteer coach. I spend at least two days per week with the distance runners. I don't get a chance to attend most of their meets because they're held during the weekdays. But I was able to take some personal time off of work in order to spend a glorious sunny day over at the track today to watch the Falcons run, jump, and throw against nine other schools.

There was just one thing, one ignorant little comment, that cast the smallest of clouds on what was otherwise a perfect afternoon. (Well, two things, if you count my sunburn.) I've talked about this before, but I just can't stand it: the ignorant, demoralizing comments from parents and coaches.

During the distance runs, I positioned myself at the 200 mark (halfway around the track from the start/finish line) to root on the runners - from Todd County and the other schools. When you get up to distances such as the 1600 and 3200, there will be, obviously, a greater disparity between the first-place and last-place times compared to the sprint events. Some kids even get lapped. It's these runners who need the most support from fans during a race.

Throw in the physical struggle just to get through a one-mile or two-mile run (one girl collapsed after her 800), and a race can quickly turn into a demoralizing experience for kids who don't realize that doing your best is all you can control. So, when I hear a coach (from another team) yell to one of her charges toward the back of the pack, "You can run faster than that!" it makes me livid. It wasn't the first time I had witnessed this at a track meet either. And, unfortunately, it probably won't be the last.

It's that kind of crap that will turn kids off from participation in sports. Although academics will always be the top priority for any high school student, athletics and other extracurricular activities play important roles in their scholastic experience as well. Especially around here, where the line between "good kid" and "bad kid" is, from my vantage, oftentimes based upon the student's level of participation in any after-school activity. (This line of thinking isn't infallible, of course. But don't get me started on the parents who don't want to parent and the impact that has on kids.)

My point is: If you can't be positive and reassuring at a race, please keep your mouth shut. There are plenty of fans and coaches who are more than happy to cheer your kid across the finish line, even if it takes them just a little bit longer to get there than you had hoped.

No comments: