Monday, November 24, 2008

Don't be afraid of the dark

My first day of work is in the books. Today was devoted mostly to information gathering and asking a ton of questions. Nothing glamorous, but very worthwhile. I also learned how to pronounce the name of our affiliate, Sicangu Tikaga Okiciyapi. Just say the c like a ch and you've got it!

I think I'm going to enjoy living and working in the same building. I just need to make sure I'm showered and dressed before the others arrive in the morning. God forbid they see me prancing around in my unmentionables. They should at least get to know me better first. And buy me dinner.

I have been warned by a couple people I shouldn't go out after dark. Or, at the very least, have a couple people with me. Ummm... I don't think that's going to happen. I went for a run after work today and I was out past sundown. Granted, this was only one run, but I found those to be out and about to be friendly as opposed to bloodthirsty. I'm going to invest in a headlamp so I can see better while running the dirt roads at night, potential attackers be damned.

I chose a slightly different running route this evening. I ran through town, coming to several dead-ends and having to backtrack. I then made it to a new dirt road that ended at a pond. Well, it looked like a pond in the twilight. I'll have to venture back during daylight hours.

One of the hazards associated with running the dirt roads at night is the wheel ruts. One false step and I'll have a twisted ankle. Then again, it couldn't be worse than this little scrape on the East Glacier Trail this summer:


Oh, and Black Dog did not accompany me this evening, probably because of the new route. But let me tell you, I can not overstate the cacophony of barking I stirred up as I ran through town. There are dogs everywhere.

No comments: