Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Hurry up and wait

Monday was insane. I severely underestimated 1.) the amount of shit in my apartment, and 2.) the amount of time required to pack it all into my car. I was up at 7:00 a.m. and went to work immediately: shipping boxes back to my parents for storage, closing my post office box, trying to figure out how I ended up with eight Sudoku books, making a run down to the Salvation Army, and throwing away so, so much.

After dinner with friends at the Canton House (oh Dinner C, how I'll miss thee), I went back home to clean. I kept finding more stuff that needed to be dealt with. I would pack a couple boxes into my car only to return to an apartment looking as though there was still as much detritus strewn on the floor as before. And then I was literally about to walk out the door for good when I happened to look in the kitchen drawers only to find... More junk! So much for my "less is more" philosophy.

But I did make it to the ferry terminal in plenty of time. In fact, I was first in line and had time to squeeze in a quick nap while waiting. After midnight, I drove onto the ferry. I then staked out a spot on the floor in the lounge between rows of bucket seats. I had my pillow and blanket, and I fell into a fitful night's sleep.

Yesterday, by comparison, was mellow. All day, I alternated between napping and reading. I was able to upgrade my accommodations to a row of seats with a table, so I slept elevated off the floor on cushions. No, I still didn't sleep well.

This morning, I arrived in Ketchikan for a six-hour layover. I went running out South Tongass Highway, 11-12 miles total. I went to the Pioneer Cafe for lunch where I learned that smoking in restaurants is still allowed. I sat up at the counter, with one smoker a few seats to my left, and another a few seats to my right. If I hadn't already ordered, if I wasn't so hungry that I was about to gnaw off my left arm, and if I had been aware of a smoke-free establishment somewhere in town, I would have walked out. Alas...

Which brings me to the present. The ferry leaves in about an hour at 5:00 p.m. I'll be in Bellingham at 8:00 a.m. Friday morning, when the drive to South Dakota will commence. Tonight's agenda, in the meantime, will include a nap, reading, and dinner. I'm hoping I still have that bench seat for my bed. It beats the floor.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy travels Bri! I will think of you while I am sleeping on my futon...Beats my plywood bed in Alaska :) Safe travels and enjoy.

Lucas

Anonymous said...

Brian, I am loving this blog. Anne had to forward it - I didn't receive your email. Other than that - after reading this, I am convinced even more than I'm getting a state room when I leave!!

Can't wait to read more...I've got to start my blog...you have inspired me!