Thursday, November 20, 2008

Shooting bullets

  • The last week and a half has been something else. Between the ferry, the drive, several hours at my new home, more driving, orientation in Chicago, and another stay at the Motel 6 in Sioux Falls, I'm feeling awfully rootless. But I'm now just a morning's drive away from Mission. Thank goodness.
  • I'm learning my way around Sioux Falls. Here's an analogy: Sioux Falls:South Dakota::Anchorage:Alaska. I'm not sure I'd ever want to live here, but the amenities are all here. The Roll'n Pin Restaurant is my new favorite.
  • I'm sure I'll beat this dead horse over time, but I just can't get over how everything is so damn cheap in the Lower 48. Everything.
  • Tomorrow's errands include opening my post office box, begrudgingly getting a cell phone, visiting the DMV, and changing over my car insurance. I think the last two errands involve a drive into Winner. Speaking of which...
  • ...My car is holding up well. I had my concerns because it was packed pretty good. I thought the additional weight would give me problems going over the passes, but all went well.
  • I'm excited about starting work on Monday. I came away from PSO with a ton of great ideas. Many of the VISTAs told me they're interested to hear how my year turns out because of where I'm serving. Most of the folks at PSO are working in urban areas (Cleveland, Chicago, Toledo, Minneapolis, Columbus). Those of us in the Dakotas are in the smallest towns, with Mission being the most remote by far.
  • I was thankful before PSO that I'm going to be able to live where I work. But many of the VISTAs have major housing issues and the cost is going to eat up a significant portion of their stipends. So, now I feel downright lucky.
  • It's supposed to get down to 4 degrees here in Sioux Falls tonight. Cold and dry: the way winter should be.
  • Hunting is big in South Dakota. Since I first arrived in the state last week, I've seen signs and marquees that read "Welcome Hunters!" I think the state colors are officially bright orange and camo. East River deer hunting season opened on November 15th, while West River opened on the 8th. Which leads me to...
  • ...A South Dakota geography lesson. Everything west of the Missouri River in South Dakota is referred to as West River. Everything east is East River. The river generally splits the state politically, topographically, and employment-wise. I live West River.
  • It is so dry here. My skin is begging to go back to the rain forest.
  • Time for bed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog's great Brian. The details are fun and I'll be interested to hear about your new running routines. It's been mostly the treadmill for me, although we've had some unusually dry days.

When I read how much you hate being late (and other people being late) I wondered how often I had offended. I tell myself that I'm never late for the important stuff (job interviews and speaking engagements when I'm the speaker . . . and dinner, of course). You're right though; it's bad manners to make people wait for you.

I'm looking forward to your future posts.

Unknown said...

If you see anyone that looks like me in Winner, give them a hug for me. I am sure they are my cousin.