Thursday, November 20, 2008

When in Chicago

Outside of orientation, there was some time to explore Chicago. Before this trip, I had only driven through the city, so this was my first opportunity to see some sights.

Tuesday night, I dragged Amy into the city on the Blue Line. I wanted to go to the Sears Tower. It was a relatively clear night and figured the view would be spectacular. There was a short movie on the construction of the building before the minute-long elevator to the top. And once there? Beautiful! The views were completely different from each of the four sides. When up that high, I most enjoy looking down on the streets and highways, trying to place what I'm looking at on a mental road atlas. Afterward, we got to know one another over dinner at Giordano's.

Last night, another VISTA and I traveled to Myopic Books, just off the Blue Line. Knowing my entertainment options (and bookstores) will be limited in Mission, I wasn't stingy with my money. We ran into three other VISTAs in the store, so we rode the train back to the hotel together. The requisite Sarah Palin conversation ensued.

Overall, I enjoyed my limited travels in Chicago. I don't think I'll ever live in a big city, especially considering my tendency to move to places with subsequently smaller and less dense populations. That being said, I think living in Juneau has giving me a new appreciation for city life.

The weather was chilly during my time here. Definitely cooler than average, but certainly no record breakers. But you should have heard the folks from the Midwest bitch about the "cold." One would have thought I was with a bunch of Floridians. I, on the other hand, was grateful for the "nice" weather. Hell, I didn't even mind the brief snow shower on Monday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does this mean you have dropped San Francisco from the list????

G

Amy said...

Dude, was that a Florida dig? That's just so wrong! ;)