Monday, January 5, 2009

A night at the museum

While thinking ahead to what's in store for me in 2009, I naturally started reminiscing about 2008. And that led back even further to the years I spent in Juneau. I could literally come up with a list of the top-100 moments (mostly good, but some bad) since May 2003 when I drove off of the ferry at Auke Bay.

That being said, one evening stands out. Maybe it's because it occurred relatively recently, but I think it's really because it represents a culmination of my experiences in Juneau.

The Alaska State Museum solicited entries for its biennial show, Alaska Positive. I entered on a lark, thinking I had as good a chance as anyone. Keep in mind though, although I typically respond "photography" when I'm asked about my hobbies (it always comes after "running"), I'm by no means an artist.

I've taken a lot of photos; many of them send me back mentally to the time the shot was taken: physical place, emotions, thoughts, stage in life. That's what defines a great photo for me. And sometimes I luck out technically with elements like the lighting, composition, and weather.

So, why not enter? It was more difficult than expected to choose the four entries. First, I had to actually like the photo. Second, it had to be unique. I mean, everyone in Juneau and their mother have taken a picture of the Mendenhall Glacier. And third, I had to picture it on the wall of a museum. I learned more about this aspect after the opening.

I enlarged my four selections, all of the standard 8"x10" variety. I then went and bought mattes and backing boards, put my pieces together, and titled them. Easy enough. When it came time to drop them off at the museum though, I had to price them. Okay, how do I put a price tag on what had seemed like an arts and crafts project? Feeling the pressure, I put them up for sale for 50 bucks. Each. It only took me until I walked out the door to think to myself, "What the hell, Bri? Fifty dollars???"

***

I was in New Roads, Louisiana, of all places, when I got the e-mail: "Congratulations, your entry into Alaska Positive was chosen by the Juror, Bill Owens, for the exhibit." I'm thankful Brandie was there so I could share the news with someone. It took some digging to first find out how many of the four had been chosen, and then which one was actually picked. 

I had e-mailed friends at home before returning to town. I was excited, what can I say? And then during my first morning back at work, after talking about my birthday travels, I shared my additional news. The opening was to take place during First Friday, just three days after I had gotten back into town.

One of the reasons this evening stands out is because it just seemed like "my" night. Don't get me wrong, I'm not delusional. There had to be at least 50 photographs on the walls, and it's not like I won anything. But someone decided my piece deserved to be up on that wall. That was enough.

But I will always remember that night mostly because of who was there. I've said before I really liked my job at the Department of Labor, and one of the reasons why was my co-workers. Yes, yes, it's corny. But it's the truth. And it was that night it finally hit me, "Hey, these people actually give a fuck about me."

But the flip side of that coin is that some people don't. Just like it probably shouldn't had taken me so long to realize the former, the latter didn't just happen overnight. (Now there's a life lesson I learned in 2008: Know when to cut the friggin' cord.)

The introspective shit was all after the fact though. Negativity was nowhere to be found on this evening. After the opening, I went to dinner with friends before calling it a night. All in all, between this and the previous two and a half weeks in Biloxi and New Orleans, I can't think of a better way to celebrate turning 30.

P.S. My fears about overpricing the photo were completely unfounded. Mine was maybe the third- or fourth-cheapest piece available. A bargain!

No comments: