Sunday, January 18, 2009

Parched

Just thought I'd mention how dry it is here. This is by far the most arid place I've ever lived. And having resided in a rain forest the past five and half years has me always within an arm's reach of both water and hand lotion.

Granted, I'm west of the hundredth meridian. But it's not like it's the desert. The area does receive about 20 inches of rain per year. I'm having a heck of a time keeping myself moisturized and hydrated though.

And can I please tell you about my scalp? It is an obsessive-compulsive's dream right now. Itch, itch, itch. Last week's speakers mentioned how lice is prevalent within the schools here. After they said that, I couldn't stop scratching my head. That's just what I need.

I went running today and yesterday, battling a stiff northwest wind both days. Running headfirst into it and going up the hill along the Dump Road was a killer. And I could feel the wind scouring every drop of moisture out of my sinuses and throat as it sailed into my nose and mouth.

My delicate skin and I will adapt, for sure. And it'll be interesting to see how my running season progresses with the change in climate. I've run very few races in dry, sunny weather. The one that comes to mind is 2007's Apple Hill Harvest Run in California's Sierra foothills. I ran and placed well, even with a pretty significant hill. But I made a conscious effort to stop at every aid station, something I didn't worry about during the races in Juneau.

So, I'll stick with that plan. In the meantime, I'll continue to get myself outside running uphill into a 30 MPH headwind like a lunatic. I have to be prepared!

No comments: