Saturday, January 3, 2009

No use crying

I had just enough milk to get me through this morning's breakfast. Since cereal is such a staple in my diet (I probably eat four bowls per day), there was no question I had to head to the grocery store before dinnertime. Even with the cold, wind, and snow outside, there was no way I was driving, with the store so close and all.

I bundled up and made the 15-minute walk, chose from the two remaining gallons of skim, and was back on my way. The uncovered parts of my face were frozen, yes, but I had gotten my exercise and made it back home without frostbite. But as I went to unlock the door, I dropped the milk jug, which cracked in a couple spots after hitting the ground. The milk, the sustenance I had trekked to obtain through the worst of Old Man Winter, splattered. To avoid an even bigger mess, I quickly grabbed the jug and threw it outside next to the wind-battered manger scene. (It looks as though the three wise men were mowed down by a drive-by.)

So, I have to go back. Later. I'll pickup another gallon after the TCHS basketball game this evening. In the meantime though, I guess it will be either cheese and crackers or Pop Tarts for dinner.

***Crisis averted. I picked up another gallon of milk. I'll be able to have my Marshmallow Mateys for dinner after all. (Those are faux Lucky Charms, for the uninitiated.)***

No comments: