Sunday, January 11, 2009

This weekend

I went to Wounded Knee yesterday. It was a sad visit, not just because of what has transpired there, but due to the current state of poverty. Like here on the Rosebud, no matter what statistic one chooses, the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is poor. One difference I noted between the two though was that Pine Ridge was visibly dirtier; trash was strewn everywhere. I don't see much of that in Mission or the greater reservation.

There wasn't much by which to remember the victims of the Wounded Knee Massacre. Part of this is probably on purpose, in my opinion. But there was a marker, placed behind a chain fence, in the small cemetery on top of a hill. Down below, the remains of a visitor center were still standing. And across the road, a large sign telling the story of the massacre stood in a small pull-out. That was it.

The remainder of the day was decidedly more upbeat. I continued west before heading down to Chadron, Nebraska. I stopped for lunch. (Skip Donald's if you're ever there. I would have been better off going to Pizza Hut.) I then took a quick driving tour around town and walked the core blocks of downtown. The town is home to Chadron State College, which gave it a decidedly younger flair, especially compared to my current stomping grounds of Valentine. The median age in Chadron is only 24.9, compared to Valentine's 40.1.

Speaking of Valentine, that was my next destination, heading east from Chadron. I did some quick grocery shopping before heading back to Mission. Groceries are a lot cheaper in Valentine, so I try to pick up my staples when I'm down there.

***

I was back in the Heart City this morning for a run along the Cowboy Trail. I was out for a good two hours and had the trail to myself save for a man and his two dogs at the start. What a great run! I've mentioned it before, but the Cowboy Trail is built along what used to be a railroad. The line went dormant, and it's now part of the Rails-to-Trails Conservancy. The trail runs parallel to a highway, but it didn't seem like it for most of the run. There was a decent buffer between the road and trail.

Because the trail follows the former railroad, the grade isn't severe. There was a noticeable change in elevation, however. This will serve as a good place to train for June's Mickelson Trail Marathon. That trail is also a part of the Conservancy.

One of the challenges running the trail, like the Dump Road here in Mission, is the long sight lines. It takes a different kind of focus running in this area compared to the trails I ran in Juneau. There, my main concerns were bears and making sure not to fall. As far as the latter is concerned, one look at my scarred legs should tell you how successful I was in that endeavor. Here, I can see for miles, which is great, but makes it seem like I'm running in place at times. Or, I'll think distances are closer than they actually are. Just a different set of challenges.

One fun aspect of the Cowboy Trail, on the other hand, was the cows and horses along the way. Granted, I didn't grow up on a farm and this is the first time I've lived in ranching country. But having a herd of cows stare at me as I ran past their field was pretty neat. And I knew they were watching! Back in town, the trail passes right by the Valentine Livestock Auction Market. The cows in there didn't seem as pleased as their brethren running free just a few miles away. I wonder why...

***

The first work group since my arrival at Habitat comes into town tonight. They're from a college in Nebraska. So, it should be pretty lively around here through Friday. I'm looking forward to it, considering meeting folks from across the country was one of the highlights of my trip to the Gulf Coast last April.

Overall, life is great for me in Mission, South Dakota. One can't complain with a weekend of temperatures around 40 and the sun shining. In January! And boy am I glad I'm not digging out under all of the snow in Juneau right now. Over four feet has fallen there just since the New Year. Yeah, I don't miss that nonsense.

No comments: