Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Are you serious?

Before leaving Juneau, I shipped six boxes of photos, books, and music back to my parents for storage during my VISTA year. My mom said they arrived last week, but the mail lady wasn't a happy camper. Evidently, between the heft of some of the boxes and the fact she actually had to get her ass out of the vehicle, she felt it necessary to tell my dad, "Next time, could you have these shipped via UPS?"

You have to be fucking kidding me. You're the mail lady from the post office. Quit your bitchin' and do your damn job. You know, it's shit like this that gives government workers a bad name. There's dead weight no matter where one works. But this "not my job" attitude and lack of ownership in one's work are so stereotypical of public sector employees, so it doesn't help when an incident like this occurs. So, to my private sector friends out there, I promise you they're not all like this. I sure as hell wasn't.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope your dad gave her a piece of his mind!!

I am really enjoying reading about your adventures Brian. Best Wishes!

Brian said...

Sera - Yeah, I hope so too! I only received my mom's version of the story though, and she agreed with my reaction 100 percent.

Anonymous said...

I swear our mailman reads all of our magazines before we get them. I know we live in Juneau, but should someone get a Newsweek three weeks late? Seriously.

Amy said...

Huh, we have two really great mail guys. They both wave to me and the one that always seems to get my large boxes runs to and from my door. But, there are a few employees that work the counter I could strangle. Always with the 'tude, like I am imposing on them. Hello! This is what you choose to do for a living!

Brian said...

Angela - If that's the case, at least he's well-read.

Amy - I will say the folks working in the post office here are extremely nice and customer-service oriented. They seem genuinely pleased to see me. The folks at the grocery stores, on the other hand, are another story.

Amy said...

So, is it you or are they rude to every shopper?

Brian said...

Amy - That remains to be seen. I'd like to think it isn't me, considering I'm just a basket full of sunshine and optimism. Who wouldn't like me?