Sunday, December 7, 2008

Enjoy it while it lasts

The weather around these parts doesn't seem to stay the same for very long. Last week was windy and cold, and we received a couple inches of snow. Today, on the other hand, the wind switched direction, resulting in sunshine and a temperature around 50. A southwest wind this time of year, though, means a cold front can't be far away. Indeed, snow is in tomorrow's forecast and the wind chill tomorrow night should slip below zero.

One thing I learned from living in Juneau is when the sun is out, you get yourself outside, because the sun seemed to make only fleeting appearances, especially this past summer. Since I went running yesterday morning, I got myself in the car this afternoon instead for some exploring and picture taking. (By the way, photos will be on this site shortly. Remember, patience is a virtue.)

I went down through Rosebud and St. Francis, home to a purple Catholic church. I crossed the state line into Nebraska, driving through the McKelvie National Forest (yes, a national forest in Nebraska) to the Merritt Dam and Reservoir, and then back up to Valentine.

Just south of Valentine along Highway 20/83, the Cowboy Trail passes high above the Niobrara River on an old railroad bridge. The Cowboy Trail is part of the Rails to Trails Conservancy. When complete, it will stretch 321 miles from Norfolk to Chadron. I practically had the bridge to myself, even with the nice weather. I plan to go back down for a run in the near future.

One thing I like about this area, and something I witnessed in abundance during today's drive, is the courtesy wave from passing drivers. Some stick to the classic lifting of a single finger off the steering wheel. This shouldn't be my pressing concern in life, I'm sure, but I was extra vigilant to ensure I returned every friendly gesture. I don't want to appear snobbish. I had little to worry about today, though, since I was driving through areas so remote they made Mission seem like a metropolis.

Here in town, the local drivers are just as friendly. I walk into town during lunchtime most days and it's not uncommon to receive a wave or two along the way. I do worry about the inadvertent snub, mainly because I'm famous for it. I can pass right by someone I know on the sidewalk completely oblivious to their presence, as my mind tends to wander when I walk. I'm thinking I need to start waving at every single passing driver, just to be on the safe side.

No comments: