Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Past, present, and future

I've been in Mission for a week and a half now. I've settled into some routines here. I've met a ton of people already. My responsibilities at work are coming together nicely, including planning an inaugural 5K to benefit the affiliate. I'm working on my running schedule and travels for the year. I think this will be home in no time.

All of that being said, I've had my first opportunities to take a look back at the time I spent in Juneau. It was my goal and dream to live in Alaska, and I made it happen. I accomplished so much in my time up there. However, it's been surprisingly hard since arriving in South Dakota to put my time up there in perspective.

I guess part of it is due to the fact that, although much of what I'm experiencing is new, there's a lot that's familiar and comfortable here. Namely, the driving. I can't tell you how nice and what a relief it is to be able to just... go places. That statement might seem odd to someone who has never lived in Juneau. But after spending five and a half years, albeit good ones, off the road system, to be able to travel and live spontaneously is wonderful.

Another reason why I haven't been able to reflect upon my time in Juneau is I'm more of a forward thinker than someone who dwells on the past. There are specific goals I'd like to accomplish, as well as states of mind (e.g. happiness) I'd like to maintain. There's only so much on this planet within my control and I can't change the past. My future is in my hands. But I guess even that's debatable.

My year as a VISTA is going to fly by. One of my concerns is, already, what to do next. I have several paths I can choose. Which leads to another matter: Is a year in Mission enough? A year in Juneau certainly wouldn't have been.

Well, I guess the answer at this point is simple, a lesson I learned and incorporated into my life successfully just this past summer: Live in the present, because everything works out for the best. It always does.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Rick - As they say on The Price is Right, "Come on down!" Speaking of which, did you know Bob Barker spent part of his childhood here?