Sunday, December 21, 2008

One month down

I've officially been an AmeriCorps VISTA member for exactly a month. So far, so good. Sandy and LaCosta have not held back their gratitude for my presence. I still sense a bit of concern from each of them in regards to me sticking around for the entire year. I don't think that has anything to do with me though; the last VISTA only lasted two months. But I continue to reiterate I love it here, which is the honest truth. Whenever LaCosta has introduced me, she tells folks I'll be here for a year and "hopefully longer than that." And Sandy has joked more than once he'd like me to take over the Executive Director role from him.

The job definitely has its challenges. Since I'm basically starting from scratch, I really need to take heart in the small breakthroughs over the coming year. I was told at PSO first-year VISTAs are laying a lot of the groundwork for future VISTAs. (FYI: When a site submits a proposal to host a VISTA, they submit a three-year plan.) I look at the 5K I'm trying to get off the ground, for example. My goal, of course, is to have that become an annual event. I've read first-year races like the one I'm planning don't draw much of a crowd. And the fact I live in the middle of nowhere (not that I'm complaining, but it's true) doesn't help matters. But I am a runner, and I certainly know the difference between a poorly run and a well-run race. I'd prefer the latter.

I do have projects on my plate with tangible results, which I need. It's nice to be able to point to something and say, "I did this." On Friday, I created a volunteer database, complete with hours worked and contact information. Most of it was data entry, but it felt good to have that completed by the end of the day. And I'm also working on a Habitat for Humanity International grant/competition, writing up a "compelling" partner story to appear in future mailings. The affiliate that has its story chosen gets $10,000 in unrestricted funds. And do I have a great story (sorry, no details)! The family's mother is stopping by tomorrow to give me more details about their current living situation, and she really wants this to turn out well for our affiliate.

Besides the job, I've really settled into a grove living in Mission. This is the first weekend since arriving that I haven't traveled. There really isn't much to do in town; plus, a reinforcing blast of cold weather arrived Friday night, so I've stayed inside most of the weekend. I did get bundled up yesterday to walk to the grocery store, but quickly turned around when I realized the wind wouldn't let me keep my eyes open. I did get antsy today and made the walk. It wasn't as cold or windy today, but my face was a nice shade of pink upon returning home. (It's 15 minutes into town to the grocery store, one way.)

Speaking of the cold, the heat has not returned 100 percent to the building. We had some pipes leading to the baseboard heating units burst during last weekend's cold weather. The pipes have been repaired, but the heat isn't fully functioning yet. I've had a space heater in my room all week, so I try to stay confined to my womb of warmth. That is, until I hear water flowing and race downstairs to check the pipes.

It's no coincidence I've been getting a ton of reading done. Folks know I'm an avid reader, but I've picked up the pace. I guess a lack of TV and heat will do that. I've made a considerable dent in the pile of books I bought in Chicago during PSO.

In other news, I registered to take the GRE in March. I'll have to go to Rapid for that because I live at least three hours from the nearest testing site. Grad school still looks like my plan post-VISTA. And the most probable option is the MPA program at the University of South Dakota. But we'll see. I have a couple (well, more than a couple) options brewing in my head right now. It's nice having choices, I must say.

So, there's the latest from me in Mission, South Dakota. I've inadvertently been blogging about non-VISTA nonsense (e.g. last night's dream), probably since things have been going so well for me here. I'll leave you with a photo of my co-workers. This photo will appear in our upcoming newsletter:



From left to right: Yours truly, Eric (the construction manager), Sandy, and LaCosta.

5 comments:

Elise said...

Hey Bri!
I just got caught up on all of your new goings on. Sounds like you're fitting in there, like I knew you would.

I drove around with your CD rack in the back of my truck for the longest time until last week when a new employee at work needed a CD rack and I said, hey, I have one of those! And brought it from the car. She was impressed (and a little worried I think).
:)
Aaron and I both miss you! And you're going to miss Kate's Christmas on New Year's Eve party.
:(

Brian said...

Hey Elise!

Thanks again for taking the CD rack off my hands. I'm glad it found a good home.

That was one less thing to worry about toward the end of my Juneau days. It was amazing how quickly my car filled up with stuff while the pile of crap in my apartment never seemed to dwindle.

Merry Christmas!

Brian said...

Rick, if you're referring to me (very funny, by the way), I just got it cut on Friday, thankfully. That photo was taken just after my lunchtime walk when I had my hat on, so my hair had actually been much poofier.

Unknown said...

Wait, so is Sandy a man and LaCosta a woman? I must have had that backwards. When are you doing the GRE? I'll mail you my old book. Lotta good that thing did... not.

Brian said...

Caroline, yes, Sandy is a man and LaCosta is a woman.

I take the computer-based GRE in Rapid on March 28th. I'm mostly concerned about the written part. I'll need to practice for that, mostly for the timing. And I need to make sure I take my time during the analytical section to avoid stupid mistakes.

I'll be sure to share my scores because it is a competition. Right?