Sunday, December 7, 2008

Fry bread and pie

Yesterday was the first time I really immersed myself in community-wide events. After my morning run on a snowy dirt road, putting my Yaktrax to excellent use, I went to an arts market at Sinte Gleska. Once there, I got to chatting with the two folks manning the front table selling raffle tickets. It didn't take long before the man said, "Oh, you're the guy from Alaska." Evidently, my reputation preceded me.

It was good to meet both of them. They were with CREDO, the Community Resource Development Organization. I'm hoping we'll be able to work together during my year with Habitat.

Overall, the market was fair. Yes, there was fry bread. And I did buy a small piece of pottery from Jodi Jensen. I really liked her work and the prices were reasonable.

After my afternoon nap, I went down to Lakeview for a chili dinner/pie auction to support a former resident about to undergo a stem cell transplant for her leukemia. LaCosta has invited me down, and among the desserts she made was an Oreo pie. That was the one I had my eye on. It took awhile for that one to go on the auction block, but I was ready when it did. Luckily, the bidding wasn't as high as some of the other pies. Some went for over $100. I was able to walk away with it for $50, which is exactly how much I had wanted to spend going in.

When I returned home, I had to hold myself back from just throwing my entire face into the pie and licking the tin clean. My restraint was admirable though, as I only took an appropriate serving for one person. Can I just tell you how good it was? It's one of those desserts you don't even have to chew. Just scoop and slurp it down.

I think I may head downstairs to the kitchen now to pay a visit.

No comments: