Saturday, December 13, 2008

A trip to the city and back

Folks, the weather is in the midst of taking a dramatic turn for the worse. Each time I check the National Weather Service forecast, the situation looks worse and worse. Now, it's supposed to get down to 27 below tomorrow night, with a wind chill between 44 and 49 below. Yikes.

I drove to Sioux Falls last night, since the VISTA Christmas party was scheduled for this evening. Sandy called me from Mission just as I was pulling up to Morgan's house in Parker saying the temperature had dropped, the wind had picked up, and the fog had rolled in. I decided to bail on the party and head for home.

It didn't get bad until just east of Winner. As Sandy had told me, visibility was limited because of blowing fog. There isn't much between Winner and Mission, so when I decided to continue my drive, I was on my own. It turned out to be an intense drive, one that required every ounce of my concentration. I was able to keep a steady 50 miles per hour, but a few nuts decided that wasn't fast enough. Hopefully, they made it to their destinations in one piece.

Many drivers here don't realize you're not supposed to use your high beams when it's foggy. Not only is it blinding to other drivers, but it really does more harm than good. All the high beams do is illuminate the fog in front of the driver. So stupid.

LaCosta had left me a message during my drive. She was in Sioux Falls this weekend as well and was wondering how I made out with the roads. Unfortunately, within the last hour, she was only pulling into a gas station in Mitchell, so she still has a ways to go.

It's a nice feeling knowing Sandy and LaCosta both care so much about my well being, even if it is a bit parental.

***

I did have a good day in Sioux Falls today. I ran 14 miles on the bike trail that loops around the city. It was relatively flat as I looped around the airport, before dropping down into Falls Park. I don't know if that portion of the trail was near a sewage treatment plant or what, but it reeked. Otherwise, the run was pleasant.

I stopped at the Sioux Falls Area Humane Society for their Howliday Open House. I wouldn't say it was a mistake going there; I did buy some bake sale goodies and a calendar. But I really shouldn't have walked through the area with the dogs available for adoption. The way they just sat and stared at me as I walked by was heartbreaking.

The rest of the afternoon included buying new running shoes, picking up photos, some light shopping at Target, a walk along Phillips Street downtown, and an unsuccessful search for jeans at Penney's.

P.S. Whoever in the Sioux Falls planning department decided to put all of the city's retail on 41st Street should be fired. Immediately. The city is fairly easy to traverse except for this glaring exception. Think Dimond Boulevard in Anchorage, but worse.

No comments: