Sunday, March 29, 2009

Analyze this

Just a few quick words about the GRE:
  • Since I took the computerized version of the test, I learned my verbal and quantitative scores upon completion. And it's now official: I'm a math nerd. This shouldn't come as any surprise, only serving as confirmation of the obvious.
  • I did okay on the verbal section. I can live with my score. I'm not sure studying would have made much of a difference with my archenemies: antonyms and analogies. I'd much rather be calculating the area of the shaded region anyway.
  • I'll receive my analytical writing score in about two weeks. I think I nailed the issue task. Boy, did I have a lot to say! It was like the question was written just for me. With 45 minutes, I was able to draft my argument with multiple examples in an organized manner, and with time to spare.
  • The issue task wasn't so bad either. That being said, time was more of a factor because 1.) I was allotted only 30 minutes with this section; and 2.) I almost wet myself trying to beat the clock. With about seven minutes to go until a 10-minute break, I was dancing in my seat because my bladder was about to give way. I decided clean, dry underwear trumped a full time allowance. I did make it back to my desk in about two and a half minutes, plenty of time to finish the section.
  • I decompressed by taking a drive into the Black Hills. I visited the Crazy Horse Memorial and Custer State Park. Oh, how I love the Hills.
  • I'm glad it's all over. I'm not taking the exam again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Come on now, any good writer gives details. What were your actual scores?

Brian said...

Any good writer leaves something to the reader's imagination.