Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Joe Citizen

I went to City Council tonight. As expected, an ordinance was introduced to increase the local portion of the sales tax from 1.75 percent to 2 percent. I wasn't completely certain I was going to speak up at the meeting; however, when the ordinance came up for discussion, I didn't hesitate.

I laid it all out for them: I wasn't necessarily against the reason for the tax increase (street paving); all I wanted was better communication from the city to its residents. I conceded the fact the Todd County Tribune already publishes the council meeting minutes and announcements. I also allowed for the fact the public already had the tools available to remain informed (even though the Tribune doesn't report on city government, which is just inexcusable). I was only asking the city to go just beyond the bare minimum to educate city residents.

I was shot down. I was respectfully told the longer I lived here I would learn the relationship between the cities of Mission and St. Francis and the Rosebud Sioux Tribe is complicated (kind of off the subject, if you ask me). I was also told tribal members could already show their membership cards at local businesses to avoid paying the city's portion of the sales tax. Okay... But Mission isn't 100 percent Native. Plus, I have yet to see any tribal members flash their ID while purchasing anything here in town.

Then, I asked, "So, what happens to this tax increase once this project has been completed?" There was actually a slight pause from the council. That made me feel good.

But the answer was deflating: Once this paving project was done, there would be other streets to fix. And the city has a whole list of projects that could make use of the increased cash flow afterward. Oh god. So, they want to raise taxes for one use, and then justify its continuation for a completely different purpose. Bad government!

The mayor did mention the sales tax is one of the few revenue-producing options the city has. Sure, I get that. I'm not against paving streets. I just want a little more notice given to locals. Putting the proposed increase to a vote would be the best case scenario, but I would take a blurb in the paper. A press release is all it would take. Sigh.

I also had an opportunity to tell the council a bit about my background and why I felt this issue was important: I lived in Juneau, where portions of the sales tax were periodically reauthorized by voters, etc. I'm not sure if that was the right tactic, considering I was peppered with the following questions:

"There's no income tax in Alaska, right?"

"And don't they pay you to live there?"

"Alaska, that's where they wanted to build that $200 million bridge to an island with only 50 people."

I wasn't in the mood to provide a little Alaska 101 on the PFD and the Gravina Island bridge. So, I wrapped up my comments by stating, "I'm not against the intent of the tax increase. I would just like to see increased communication from the city." The ordinance then went to a vote: Unanimous. The ordinance will be up for a second reading in two weeks. When approved, the increase will take effect in July. (I didn't bother saying "if.")

Oh well. I tried. I feel good about that. I'll be at the next council meeting just for kicks, but I've said my piece. At least I'll be on the record (in the paper, I hope!) as wanting increased communication from the city. I didn't compromise my apolitical VISTA commitment or future business dealings with the council. And I got a Rice Krispies Treat with peanuts out of the evening. I think I came out ahead.

No comments: