Monday, March 9, 2009

Settling in

I really feel good about how my first months in Mission have transpired. Work has been going well, albeit a bit frustrating at times. The hardest part, actually, has been not having a confidant to vent to about work-related issues. But if that's my biggest gripe, things must not be too damn bad.

Between the lack of diversions in town and the beautiful weather of late, I've been running a ton. I was down on the Cowboy Trail for two and a half hours yesterday. Boy, was I tuckered out when I returned to the car. I think it was the afternoon sun that wore me out as opposed to the distance. But I never stopped running. Gotta push my body to prepare for June's marathon.

Running has also had an added benefit: It makes Mission seem bigger than it truly is. One can drive through town in a heartbeat, but taking to the streets on foot seems to expand its footprint. I imagine this is true of any small town. Plus, it's good to have locals wave and even honk their horns when they see me run by. It makes me feel like less of an outsider, something I had concerns about before arriving. I have yet to feel that way.

And I got word today I've been cleared to help coach the track team's distance runners. My paperwork has yet to be reviewed by the school board; however, I was told that was a mere formality. I'm really excited about helping out with the team. It's not like I am an expert runner or have worked with a large group of kids before. But I think it's safe to say I'm a halfway decent runner. And my youthful exuberance should just about bowl them over.

Speaking of running, my first race in South Dakota is this Saturday. It's a three-mile run up in Presho. I wouldn't normally drive 70 miles for such a short race, especially considering fast runs make me nauseous. I swore I would never, ever consider another 5K because I always want to barf afterward. But I think it'll be good to meet "local" runners. I have met a few runners from here on the rez, but whenever and wherever I run, I'm always the only one out running. Okay, it's me and the dogs.

I'll be traveling a bunch in the next month. I have a couple days of training in Sioux Falls next week. I take the GRE in Rapid on the 28th. (Wish me luck!) There's a 10-mile race in Sioux City the following Saturday. And then I have work in Aberdeen in mid-April.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I've really settled into a groove here, and I'm liking the way that feels. I'm in a good place, both physically and mentally. The rez is different, to say the least. But I like different. I knew after spending five and a half years in Juneau I couldn't just move anywhere. And even though I live in the middle of nowhere, Mission isn't just "anywhere."

No comments: