Friday, March 20, 2009

Funny how things turn out

An avid reader from Juneau reminded me today I've only completed one-fifth of my 25 things about me. So, let's call this one #6, along with a smooth segue into the details about my first day as Coach Laurent.

***

I attended a private high school. Gym classes weren't a part of the curriculum; however, students were still required to obtain PE credits from participating in one sport per year. During my freshman and sophomore years, I tried out for the basketball team. Both times, I didn't make it past the first cut. So, I ran track instead. They accepted everybody.

Freshman year, I attended practice regularly and drifted into the distance runners' long runs. I had the stamina to run long distances; I just wasn't very fast. I ran the 3200 in a couple of meets. I don't think I ever finished higher than last.

By the time the season rolled around again the following year, I really didn't want to be there. It started with me taking shortcuts during the team's long runs. This proved to be more entertaining than I had anticipated. My high school was pretty prestigious, but it was located in a not-so-nice area. One time, me and two girls took a detour through a bad neighborhood. We were walking along when two boys, one white and one black, began to follow us. Hmmm... This never happened in the suburbs.

The black kid started to make conversation. He kept saying, "My boy wants to talk to you." We humored him by answering, "Ummm... Okay." I remember he also asked where we went to school. I lied and said the nearby public school. I didn't think the truth would have helped matters. Then he started with his "My boy wants to talk to you" line again. Finally, I said something along the lines of, "We're right here. What do you want?" The white kid replied, "I don't want to talk to his white ass." I really wanted to say, "You realize you're white too, right?"

At this point, we tried to bid adieu and head back to school. But they didn't like that, and they proceeded to chase after us. Me and one of the girls were able to turn the corner and lose them. But I heard the other girl, who I couldn't see, scream. I really thought they had done something to her. But she made it around the corner safe and sound, and we went back to the safety of our fenced-in campus. I never cut through that neighborhood again.

I don't know if it was specifically because of that incident, but I just stopped going to practice after that. Well, technically I went. Since I was receiving PE credit as a member of the track team, I had to at least get changed and go to practice everyday. But I'd leave right after attendance was taken. Easy enough!

The coaching staff eventually wised up and began checking the roster after practice as well. Okay, no problem. I'd leave, always with a friend in tow, head off to Burger King in my '84 Monte Carlo, and make it back to campus in time for the end of practice. I was committing a campus no-no aside from cutting practice: Once a student left campus after the end of the school day, they weren't allowed back. I was such a rebel, let me tell ya.

So, I faithfully cut track practice for three years. In each of those years, I had a different partner in crime. I was always the leader though - I'm no follower! The funny thing is I received a varsity letter senior year. I'd like to think of that as recognition of a job well done.

Folks I went to high school with are understandably a bit surprised I turned out to be an avid runner. I guess my track truancy prowess was well-known. And friends I've met since can't see me as one who would try to get out of running.

***

I knew when I accepted this position in Mission I wanted to get involved in the community outside of my work with Habitat. I figured helping out with the track and cross country teams would be right up my alley. I had never worked with kids before, but thought I could make an impact with students in a school system with a high dropout rate, among a litany of challenges they face.

I connected with the high school's activities director, who introduced me to the track coach. They both wanted to see my resume and references, understandable considering I'm still a relative stranger here on the reservation. I met the rest of the coaches yesterday afternoon and was invited to begin helping out today. (I still have to be officially approved by the school board at Monday's meeting. I've been assured this is merely a formality.)

I arrived at the track around 3:45, ran a couple warmup laps with the kids, and stretched. Then, I was introduced as Coach Laurent. That made me smile. The coach asked if I would share a few words about myself, so I spoke briefly about where I was from, why I was in Mission, and my favorite running distance (half marathon).

Coach put the entire team through a few drills as a group. I joined in, even though the coordination required to complete the exercises was beyond my abilities. This was duly noted by Coach, all in good fun, of course. I think I'm atoning for my years of skipping track practice in high school.

The team then split into their respective specialties, with me taking the three distance runners out on a 30-minute run. The team was depleted for a number of reasons. I was told there are usually 10 distance runners, including a couple "elite" ones. (I should add there is a dedicated distance coach. She wasn't present at today's practice.)

And then we headed out for our run. I got to talking with the older of the three, a senior. He asked about my background, and I inquired about his goals and post-graduation plans. The two younger guys are participating on the team for the first time.

After returning to the track, we ran some sprints, something I never do. I typically just go for runs and race. It'll be interesting to see if I there's any appreciable difference in my times I'd be able to attribute to a more diverse practice regimen.

Overall, my first day as Coach Laurent was a blast. I'm looking forward to meeting the rest of the team. I plan to keep things simple. I know what works for me, but I'm certainly no expert. I do want to focus on setting goals. That's not only important in running, but in life as well.

No comments: