Thursday, March 26, 2009

How many vocabulary words can I learn in 36 hours?

I take the GRE Saturday morning in Rapid. I can't believe it's time to take this exam already. I'm making the three-hour drive right after work tomorrow. Luckily, I have a new friend in Rapid, who has offered me a place to crash.

The crazy thing is since I'm taking the computerized version of the exam, I'll know my verbal and quantitative scores immediately after finishing. I'll receive my writing score about two weeks later.

I took one practice exam and did well. Just like the SAT, I'm much stronger in math than verbal. I just need to make sure I take my time reading the questions. The errors I made in the math section were so incredibly stupid.

As far as the verbal section, I can handle the reading comprehension. And I'm decent on the fill-in-the-blank sentences. But the antonyms trip me up. I probably should have brushed up on my vocabulary. But how boring is that?

The writing section should be fine, except I'm a deliberate writer. I plan to win the readers over with grammar and punctuation in case the time constraint plays havoc with my content. Lots of semicolons, for sure.

After the exam, I'm going to decompress by treating myself to breakfast and a drive into the Black Hills. Hopefully, I'll be doing those things with the knowledge I don't have to take the GRE again.

No comments: